April 22, 2014
This past weekend our Android users got a new update, release 1.1.3. Here is what was new in the build:
1. NEW FEATURE – Record using the front camera
If your phone has a front-facing camera, you can now use that camera to record video, instead of your normal camera at the back of the phone. When you get to the record screen, simply touch the “Camera toggle” button on the right side of the UI to switch between the front and rear facing cameras.
Why is that useful? Two main reasons:
- If you’ve received training, you know a driving principle and speed secret is to look where you want to go! Recording a session where you focus on where you are looking (through turns and as ahead as possible) can be invaluable to your development as a driver. You can see on the data overlay where you are on the track and watch your eyes and head movements to see if you are consistently focusing on where you are going to be, not where you are right then and there.
- If you are a racer (actual wheel to wheel racing), doing a race where you record the rear view can be valuable to understand how other drivers are trying to set you up and how you can react or set them up stop them from overtaking. Use the front-facing recording option to work on your race craft!
2. Upload video bug fixes and improvements
We made several improvements to the upload functionality to make it more stable and faster. This is for when you connect to Wi-Fi and upload your videos to our servers so they can be stored, processed and sliced up per lap (if they are lap based) and then easily shared online. We also fixed a few bugs we had noticed from users.
3. Streaming Video Fix
If you’ve uploaded your video to the site, you know how great it is to get large video files off of your phone and able to stream them directly from our site instantly to view anytime. We fixed bugs that had shown up in our analytics so the streaming of videos from the site should be much improved for those who ran into bugs.
4. No advertising for paying customers
A few customers who had upgraded to Pro and Lap Timer versions of the app indicated they were still seeing advertisements in the app. Those have been confirmed gone and if you buy Track Attack, you’ll never see ads again!
5. Improvements to the GPS Engine
We’re always trying to improve the GPS engine of the app to give the most accurate timings and data possible from the phone. We made a handful of improvements that will improve performance of specific devices and we found other areas we’ll improve in the future.