June 26, 2013
This past weekend we got to solid public beta stage of Track Attack where we are showing off our new features and functionality.
What is a beta?
Beta is a common term used in the software world that essentially means we are close to finishing up the final product but would benefit greatly from getting the app in the real world. We need your help to put Track Attack through its paces, use it, break it and tell us how it can be better. We intend to have it in Beta for 1-2 months with at least 2 updates. During that time, Track Attack will be 100% free and even when we go from Beta to the full production version, users will be able to keep all the data they gathered and transitioned to a free version of the official release app.
What is new?
- Landscape Support on Every Screen – Simple as that! No more twisting your head if you have the phone already mounted on your windshield and starting a session!
- No registration required to use Track Attack – We changed some things and now users can simply download Track Attack and be able to hit the track. No registration required unless you want to upload video to the site or create new tracks.
- Support for all types of motorsports – while we at Track Attack primarily do road racing on lap-based circuits, we know and appreciate all types of motorsports. Whether it be oval tracks, auto-cross, rally-cross, drag racing or even weekend canyon carving, there’s fun stuff on wheels happening and we want Track Attack to help you record it, share it and help you get faster. In the new Drive Screen, users are able to select the type of motorsport they are doing, select a track and go.
- Fun Run: This is for all you canyon carvers and Wang an racers. Sometimes you are on an awesome road and you want to record and share with friends. Just hit ‘Fun Run’, then ‘Start’ and drive! Video and data is recorded just like being on a track but without any timing calculations.
- Track Selection: We made a number of small adjustments to the UI and functionality of selecting a race track to make it more intuitive.
- Creating Point to Point Tracks: If we’re supporting point to point based motorsports, that means we need to have point to point based tracks, most, created by our users. Creating a track for Drag Racing, Auto-cross, Rally Stage or a Hill Climb is easy:
- From the Drive screen, select the type of point to point based session you are going to create.
- Once the map zooms to your location, you can pan and zoom anywhere in the world and insert a start location beacon and a finish location beacon.
- Give the circuit a name
- All done! Now that track is available to all other users.
It’s a Beta, so what’s missing?
We’re caught! Yes, the big changes are the above and we wanted to get this in front of users asap so we had some compromises. Here’s what is currently not working in the Beta but will be soon:
- Creating Facebook Posts or Creating an Account through Facebook log in – this is easy work so a lower priority compared to the new cool stuff.
- Video upload – this is critical, difficult to do and on it’s way! One of the updates to the Beta will have this feature and will be a critical part of our user testing before we even think about charging customers money for the app.
We’re coding around the clock to update the app and fix bugs as they come up. Thank you to the users who downloaded the app this past weekend and we can’t wait to get it out of Beta and in cars around the world!